ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Chargeback using CPU time on MVS server.

1996-01-25 12:38:34
Subject: Re: ADSM Chargeback using CPU time on MVS server.
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 12:38:34 EST
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:17:11 -0800 Floyd Davis said:
>I am looking for comments from anyone who does chargeback to their customers
>using the ADSM/MVS server.
>
>We are in the process of evaluating ADSM.  I am being asked to chargeback
>based on CPU time the server uses.
>
>My problem is that our CPU charges are high enough that I don't know if
>anyone will use ADSM or not.  I don't want to post any numbers, but lets
>just say that you could hire someone to mount tapes on a PC for a very long
>time for what I would be charging.
>
>Any comments?

Yes.  The bulk of the CPU used by your server will probably not be associated
with user sessions.  A bunch of it will be used by background processes that
are not associated with any one user, such as expiration and tape reclaim.
When we decided to offer ADSM services to our campus, we decided to put the
server on an RS/6000, in no small part because of this issue.  It is much
easier to think about cost recovering an entire RS/6000, than it is to
figure out how to cost recover the shared resources of a mainframe.  In
addition to recovering the CPU costs, we considered DASD, channel, controller
costs and the infrastructure we have in place to support our mainframe.
I suppose it is all doable (or ignorable, if you can get away with it).
We also felt that the dedicated RS/6000 solution was probably more cost
effective, but that depends on your situation.  Many sites view
their mainframe as a sunk cost, and are looking to put it to good use
(which ADSM is IMHO).

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601