ADSM-L

unix file owner information

1996-01-23 15:46:32
Subject: unix file owner information
From: Dean Roy <DEAN AT ALPHA.UWINDSOR DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 15:46:32 EST
Can anyone tell me how the unix clients determine the owner of a file?
Specifically how does ADSM resolve the unix userid number into the
actual userid string? Does it access this information from the password
file or does it make an NIS call if the system is using NIS.

I need an answer to this because we currently don't maintain user
definitions on our large NFS server. When I run an ADSM backup of this
server all of the file owners come up as userid numbers NOT the userid
names. So I need to add the user definitions to this system but I need
to know that NIS is supported because the password file would be huge
other wise.

  Dean Roy                           Email: DEAN AT UWINDSOR DOT CA
  Systems Programmer                 Voice: (519)253-4232 Ext 2763
  University of Windsor              Fax  : (519)973-7083