ADSM-L

Backup Throughput

1996-01-22 19:36:16
Subject: Backup Throughput
From: Bob Thornton <bobt AT NETNET DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 16:36:16 -0800
Hi, another newbie asking question(s) that may have been answered before.  If
so, point me in the right direction and
I'll be on my way.
     We have installed Adsm v1.1 on our MVS system.  We are backing up our
Novell 4.1 file server(s) and getting around 4 mb
per minute.  Trying to find a way to improve throughput.  Our hardware config
is MVS on a 3090/300 (3480 tape drives w/ IDRC)
channel attached (4.5 MB) to a 3172 (model 3 - ICP v3.4) with FDDI to the
Novell server(s).  TCP/IP v3.1 on MVS and v3.00f on
Novell server.  Running v2.01b of Adsm client on the Novell server.
Compression is not turned on, tcpwinsize is 24 and
tcpbuffsize is 32.  Any ideas?
     When we ran Cheyenne's ArcServe (Novell NLM) to drives connected to the
server and throughput was around 16 - 17 mb per
minute (to servers being backed up across the wire).  Thought Adsm should be
able to do something compariable to this.
     Also, is there a listing of the versions of the Novell NLM's that were
used when testing Adsm with Novell 4.1 (clib,
mathlib, tsands, etc.)?

    Thanks ........ Bobt

|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Bob Thornton            |   Schreiber Foods, Inc.      |
|  Network Administrator   |   P.O. Box 19010             |
|  Email: bobt AT netnet DOT net  |   Green Bay, Wi.  54307-9010 |
|                          |   Phone: (414) 437-7601      |