ADSM-L

Re: Q: Manually Starting a Migration

1996-01-22 13:04:09
Subject: Re: Q: Manually Starting a Migration
From: Simon Travaglia <SPT AT WAIKATO.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 07:04:09 +1300
>Is there a command (or a way) to manually start a MIGRATION?
>
>I am migrating from OPTICAL to TAPE and I would like the migration to
>happen while I am at work instead of 3am when backups are going on.

Well, there appears to be two questions:  1. how can I stop migration
happening at 3am and 2. How can I make it happen when I want.

1.  If you make your migration percentage 100 then the migration from
optical to tape will only happen when the optical is full
        UPDATE STGPOOL {Poolname} HIGH=100

2.  If you make your migration percentage 2 then migration will occur
(unless of course you're using less than 2%)
        UPDATE STGPOOL {Poolname} HIGH=100

You may want to tamper with the low migration figure on (2) and set it to
something like 2% so that the optical storage pool is near empty.

None of this makes much difference if your drives are WORM as migration
won't actually FREE any space up on them, so migration will occur as soon
as the optical becomes full.

Did that help?  I have my doubts.

[_____]           TAKE TWO EMAIL MESSAGES AND FLAME ME IN THE MORNING!
 )   (         Today's network prescription courtesy of spt AT waikato.ac DOT nz
|     |  [##]  Simon Travaglia,  Analyst Programmer,  I.T.S,   University
|     |   )(   of  Waikato,  Private Bag  3105,  Hamilton,  New  Zealand.
|     |  |  |         http://prime-mover.cc.waikato.ac.nz/simon.html
Encyclopedia Salesmen:  Invite them all in.  Nip out the back door.  Phone the
 police and tell them your house is being burgled.
                -- Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"