ADSM-L

[no subject]

1996-01-22 12:28:57
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 12:28:57 -0500
> Does anyone have deeper thougths about the number of versions of client-
> files that should be maintained on the server as the default.
> We use 3 just because it sounds pretty save.

Rather than fixating on a number of revisions we have opted for a number of
days with unlimited revisions.

Now before everyone starts screaming about dasd, here's how I see it:

The bulk of the files don't change from day to day.  I don't upgrade
executable all that often.  Things that change rapidly but are of no real
value are kept in a different class that has a very short retension or not
backed up at all.  In this way I can advertise a known number of days within
which a file can be recovered.  Since only privilegded users can run backups I
can rarely get more than one copy of a file per day.

It's like insurance.  I can get past the state law with $15,000 worth, I carry
many times that much at very little aditional cost.  Tape is relatively cheap
when compared to labor to reproduce lost data.

Chuck