ADSM-L

Re: Need Help with Tape Drive Situation

1996-01-19 10:51:35
Subject: Re: Need Help with Tape Drive Situation
From: Andy Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:51:35 CST
On Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:29:58 -0600 you wrote:

>On Jan 19,  3:07pm, Virginia Adams wrote:
>> Subject: Need Help with Tape Drive Situation
>> Dear ADSMers: I am running ADSM Version 1, Release 1, level 0.8/1.8
>> on VM/ESA 1.2.2 (with Sterling vm:tape), and am backing up just one
>> sun/unix server so far, having begun doing so just last week.
>>
>> Previously the cartridge mounts were all going to our 3480 drives,
>> but yesterday I made a change to the dsmmount exec so that the 3490E
>> drives would be used instead. Last night we got the error message:
>> ANR5306E Device not capable. (It had mounted a cartridge on the 3490E
>> drive that had been previously written on the 3480 drive but wasn't
>> yet 100% full.)
>>
>> So I cancelled the session and went back to the previous version of
>> the dsmmount exec which calls for the 3480 drive. Now we get (from
>> the dsmmount exec) VMTDRV143T System not configured with 36 track E
>> 3480 drives, and mount cancelled. I am puzzled why this didn't work
>> when it was working the past week.
>>
>> Can anyone advise me on how to resolve this? Do I have to
>> reinitialize the database and start over to switch from 3480 to 3490E
>> drives? After failing with the 3490E drive, why couldn't I return to
>> the 3480 drive successfully? What should I do next to get a
>> successful backup?
>>
>> Thanks, -Virginia
>> Virginia Adams
>> New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
>> 50 Wolf Road - Room 143,  Albany, NY 12233-2753
>> virginia.adams AT dec.mailnet.state.ny DOT us
>> (518) 457-7606
>>-- End of excerpt from Virginia Adams
>
>Virginia
>
>Not sure I know exactly how to get you back.  But do you realize that
>while a 3490E can read a 3480 18 track tape- it cannot write in 18 track modes
>to a 3480 or 3490E cartridge ??  That is why you couldn't use the 3490E to
>continue to
>fill up that 3480 cartridge.
>
>Given this limitation, I think that if you are going to switch drive types, you
>will have to mark all un-full (don't think that's a real word) 3480 tapes as
>FULL so that ADSM will not try to mount them to write to them again and fill
>them up.  Then when tapes are recycled, ADSM can read the 3480's on the 3490E's
>combine the unexpired data from several tapes and write the data out to a
>3490E.
>
>For your error after switching back... it sounds like your ADSM device driver
>still thinks it is trying to use a 36 track tape drive, but has a 3480 and
>knows
>that can only write in 18 track mode.
>Call IBM and ask how to get back to 3480 mode, then mark all those tapes full
>and move forward again to 3490E mode.
>Susie McClure
>RICE University

We just got through doing this.  I did what was suggested, make all
the 18 track tapes read only.  The problem with the second message,
that the drive is not 36 track capable may be because a cart was
created while you were using the 3490e drives in 36track mode and now
that you have gone back to the 3480's it cannot be read.

 Andy Carlson  work: (314) 362-0516      fax: (314) 362-4495
 Barnes Jewish Christian Health Services   St. Louis MO
 Email Address:  andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org

 "I suppose I should thank you for teaching me how true the
  old saying is.  Teach him how you will, a pig will never
  play the flute"
             - Thom Merrilin to Matt on the Spray