ADSM-L

Re: RESTORE TODATE

1996-01-18 19:04:38
Subject: Re: RESTORE TODATE
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:04:38 PDT
Yeah, just as I expected.  I'm familiar with the -TOTIME option recently
made available.  Unfortunately, the volume of files involved and high
activity on this client make the current restore scenario non-viable. I
will take your advice and send the requirement to the ADSM-R list.  In
the meantime, RESTORE DB, here we come.  Thanks for the info.
Sam Sheppard
SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV
(619)-581-9668
IBMMAIL -- USBTNVTN

========== Forwarded letter starts ==========
If you do a RESTORE with -INACTIVE and -TODATE, ADSM will restore any
versions meeting the criteria, including files that had been deleted prior to
the date of the crash. So yes, you may get some unwanted files restored. Of
course it all depends on the circumstances (how much have you deleted, and
does ADSM still have inactive versions), but in my experience, I've never
seen this be a major problem.

However, this is still a valid point. I don't know whether there is any
requirement to provide for a "true" point-in-time restore, which is what you
really want, so you may want to consider sending one to the ADSM-R list
server.

Level 0.3 of the V2 clients also added a -TOTIME option, as well. You may
want to consider using this in conjunction with -TODATE. This is useful if
your incremental backups ever cross midnight (i.e. start before midnight and
end after midnight).

Andy Raibeck
========== Forwarded letter ends ==========