ADSM-L

Password prompting with hp-ux client.

1996-01-18 11:43:39
Subject: Password prompting with hp-ux client.
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 11:43:39 -0500
I'm running ADSM v2 for VMS in a network of HP 9000's, Netware 3.1x's and
Sun's.  My hp-ux adsm is v2r1l0.2.  I have set up 4 different servers to
distribute the load and break up the size of the database.  I do the bulk of
my work on an HP Xterminal.  I need to be able to run the GUI Admin Client
against all 4 servers.  To achieve this I have set up all of the servers in my
dsm.sys file.  The problem is that when the text client is executed it prompts
for password even though I have password access to generate.  If I comment out
all of the extra servers it no longer prompts.

To deal with this I have tried the following:

-Installing to a different directory and running the Admin software from there
with a different dsm.sys file.  dsmadm looks in the dsm.sys from /usr/adsm,
with a different dsm.sys file.  dsmadm looks in the dsm.sys from /usr/adsm,
even when it is located and invoked elsewhere.

-Trying to pass a tcpport on the command line (I know, I know, you can't do
that with the unix version...)
that with the unix version...)

-Adding a defaultserver line to dsm.sys.
-Setting up my init script to supply the password.
-Setting up my init script to supply the password.
The last option get's the job done but at the expense of security.  I have the
The last option get's the job done but at the expense of security.  I have the
init script secured, but all a user needs to do is run a ps to see the command
entered and the password.

Has anyone else seen this or got a work around for it?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck