ADSM-L

Re: Question about MVS server and Inventory Expiration

1996-01-18 10:33:24
Subject: Re: Question about MVS server and Inventory Expiration
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <ARaibeck AT AOL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 10:33:24 -0500
In a message dated 96-01-18 10:07:57 EST, Jon Austin asked:

>We're running V1R2 server and we're running into a load problem....
>
>We have our server down early morning (4am-630) to do volume dumps
>database backups, etc. When we restart the server at 6:30,
>inventory client file expiration occurs as process 1. This sometimes
>continues into our business hours window, when we would prefer to
>have as much of the CPU available to other subsystems (CICS regions
>and such).
>
>Can Inventory client file expiration be scheduled or configured to
>run at any time, or is it locked into running at startup of the server?
>
>Would appreciate any insights. Even though we're doing a processor
>upgrade soon, we still want to be a efficient as possible.

Yes! There is an option that became available in a V1 PTF to address this
problem. I don't remember the PTF number, but it was a while back. If you're
pretty good at keeping up with the latest maintenance (which I generally
recommend) you should already have it available. I think it's EXPINTERVAL (I
don't have the book in front of me). This option goes in the server options
file. The syntax is:

   EXPINTERVAL n

where 'n' represents the number of hours you want to wait between automatic
execution of inventory expiration. A value of 0 means don't automatically run
inventory expiration at all. The default is 1. The largest value is, I
believe, 336 (two weeks). The interval begins when the ADSM server is
started, so depending on when you start it (like in the problem you
described), even using something like EXPINTERVAL 24 might still cause
inventory expiration to start at an inconvenient time.

If you set EXPINTERVAL to 0, you can use the EXPIRE INVENTORY command (which
came in the same PTF as EXPINTERVAL) to manually kick off inventory
expiration. In fact, when I used V1, I set EXPINTERVAL to 0 and scheduled a
batch job to automatically issue EXPIRE INVENTORY when *I* wanted it to run.

With ADSM V2, I recommend using the administrative scheduling facility to
schedule the EXPIRE INVENTORY command.

You can find more info on this in the README file that comes with the latest
server maintenance. In MVS I know it's a SAMPLIB member called ANR1110 (or
ANR2110 for V2). I don't know what it's called for other platforms, but the
installation guide should tell you where to find it.

Hope this helps,

Andy Raibeck