ADSM-L

Re: Tape Management with ADSM

1996-01-16 14:17:41
Subject: Re: Tape Management with ADSM
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:17:41 -0600
On Jan 16, 11:54am, Joseph Carels wrote:
> Subject: Tape Management with ADSM
> Is anyone using a tape management systems with ADSM, or have you added any
> routines to ADSM to do tape management.
>-- End of excerpt from Joseph Carels

Not sure of your ADSM platform, but we use ADSM/VM and interface it to the
tape management system by Sterling Software called VM:TAPE.  We just use the
standard ADSM exits and have 3 or 4  DSMMOUNT and DSMEXITn machines defined to
handle tape
requests.  In this way, ADSM gets its tapes from a defined pool of tapes
managed
by VM:TAPE. While in use by ADSM they are "checked out " to ADSM in VM:TAPE
and ADSM tracks what's on each tape etc.  When ADSM empties a tape, it returns
it to scratch, which invokes the DSMEXIT machine to return it to the assigned
pool in VM:TAPE.

I am also familiar with MVS systems doing a similar function with their
tape management systems.  I am not aware of any in the Unix world.

Susan McClure
Rice University