ADSM-L

ADSM Tape Management

1996-01-10 10:58:16
Subject: ADSM Tape Management
From: Greg Van Hise <vanhise AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 08:58:16 MST
> I'm using ADSM for AIX Version 2.1.3 and would like to know what is available
> in the way of software to manage the tapes created via ADSM Database backups
> and storage pool backups.  These tapes are being created for the purpose
> disaster recovery, so they are going to be moved off site.  I need a way to
> keep track of what's off site and when it should be coming back.

The new feature of ADSM for AIX called Disaster Recovery Manager
provides:
  - Determination of what database backup and copy storage pool volumes
    need to be moved offsite/back onsite (includes capability to
    expire a database backup series) and tracks the media
    location in the ADSM database.  This is accomplished with
    the new ADMIN commands MOVE/QUERY DRMEDIA.
  - Automated generation of a server disaster recovery plan file.  The
    plan file includes:
    - List of ADSM database backup and copy storage pool volumes
      required to perform the recovery (the off-site location where
      the volumes reside is included).
    - Installation specific server recovery instructions.
    - Devices required to read the database backup and copy storage pool
      volumes.
    - Space requirements for the ADSM database and recovery log.
    - Copy of ADSM configuration files (volume history, device configuration,
      and server options file).
    - Shell scripts and ADSM macros required to recover the ADSM server.
   The disaster recovery plan file is generated with the new ADMIN
   command PREPARE.