ADSM-L

Help with 8mm Tape Drive on RS6K

1996-01-10 10:57:00
Subject: Help with 8mm Tape Drive on RS6K
From: "Stokes, Van Jr." <sbluvks AT SMMIPO1.SMMI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 07:57:00 PST
Current Setup:
 RS6K 58H running 3.2.5
 Adsm Server Version 2.1
 Tape Drive:  8mm 5GB
 Optical Drive: 3995-A63 JukeBox

I am trying to get my 8mm tape drive to work under ADSM. I ran SMIT and
added a TAPE drive under the Devices/ADSM Devices section. The resulted
in a device named:
/dev/mt0 (there exists an /dev/rmt0). My blocking is 1024 for the tape
drive.

Now, I know the tape drive works because I do daily backups via
/dev/rmt0.
BUT, ADSM will not work with the drive (using the device /dev/mt0).

This is what I get from the dsmlabel command:

 ------- Cut & Paste

ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
Volume Label Utility Program
Version 2, Release 1, Level 0.1/0.1

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM

5765-203 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1994, 1995.  All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR9722I Insert a new volume in drive '/dev/mt0', then enter the name
(1-6
characters) to be used for its label; or just press ENTER to quit this
program:
8MM001
ANR9743I Attempting to label volume '8MM001' using drive '/dev/mt0'...
ANR9726E I/O error writing label for volume '8MM001' in drive '/dev/mt0'.

 ----- End of Cut & Paste

I insert the new tape, wait for the light to stop blinking, enter the
label and press enter. The tape runs for about 2 mins and then the I/O
error pops up and the tape spits out.

Can anyone help me?

 -----
Message for the day: