ADSM-L

volume unavailable

1996-01-04 23:37:38
Subject: volume unavailable
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 09:37:38 +0500
Was just poking around in ADSM, and found the following situation that I
cannot explain - can anyone help me?

I found a tape volume in my pool that showed an access of "Unavailable",
but the errorstate was no, and was marked as being a scratch volume.  We
let CA-7 handle the scratch tapes, and do not maintain our own pool of
scratch tapes within ADSM.  Tapes are being returned to scratch; CA-7 says
that this is our tape.  Also, the occupancy indicated a full volume, but
only 6.7% utilized.  We have the low threshold set at 60% (return when
utilization drops below 40%) so the tape should have been reclaimed.  Last
read access was in November.  I did a Q content of the volume, and the
response was "No match for volume" - i.e. - no active data on tape.  I
tried to update the access to readwrite on the tape, and this was
successful, but the tape was not reclaimed or returned to scratch.

Can anyone tell me why the tape is unavailable, and what I can do with
this tape to clear it?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com