ADSM-L

NetWare client Maintenance

1995-12-28 05:11:42
Subject: NetWare client Maintenance
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 15:11:42 +0500
I installed (successfully, I think) the ADSM NetWare client on a test
machine this afternoon, but had a couple of problems with the install that I
would like to have someone (IBM?) clarify.  The target server was an old
PS/2 model 80 that has been running ADSM V1 L8; I brought the code up to
Version 2 with the latest PTF level (IP20572) which I believe is level 2.

Problem 1 -  The doc suggests that the install of ADSM (INSTDSM.NLM) can be
speeded up if the install disk is copied to an empty directory.  I created a
directory named INSTALL on my SYS volume, copied the contents of the floppy
to this directory, and then went to the NetWare console to run the INSTDSM.
I loaded the module, and it prompted me for the source (which I pointed to
the Install directory), and then the target directory, and then was
presented with a message that said that it was going to copy a module
(something.T__ - didn't write it down), then it gave me an intercept
warning, with options to override - I replied with a B to backup first, but
then the copy failed.  Going back to running from the floppy eliminated the
problem.  I checked my SYS volume for the modules it was looking for, but
the only files with the matching name was in the install subdirectory.  Is
"INSTALL" a directory that INSTDSM uses? or was the program trying to copy
over itself, even though I had a different source and target specified.
(Checked that one 3 times to be sure).

Problem 2 - The server is at 3.11 of NetWare.  I applied the LIBUP5 and
TCP31A maintenance from the second diskette (STRTL3 was already on).  When I
restarted the server, TCPCON.NLM would not load; it was looking for another
NLM (TUI.NLM) that is not on the machine, and not part of the maintenance.
In perusing the doc for the maintenance, it seems to imply that this
maintenance does not apply to 3.11 servers; only 3.12 (and possibly 4.x).
Am I correct?  I was able to copy the backup version of TCPCON back onto the
system, and it now works, but I wonder if I will have problems from the
mismatch.

Has anyone else run into eother of these problems?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(203) 547-2960