ADSM-L

Re: Novell QDR SRV and SYS Files

1995-12-22 07:53:00
Subject: Re: Novell QDR SRV and SYS Files
From: Jeff Renicker <jrenicker AT GOODYEAR DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 07:53:00 EST
Diane Ashby writes:

>At my site ADSM rejects backup of print queue directory files with the message
>  ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory is denied
>following a NetWare message
>  TSA311 4.5 266 This data set is in use and cannot be accessed at this time.
>
>IBM support has directed me to investigate this as a NetWare access
>rights issue, but our onsite NetWare support staff disagrees since ArcServe
>has successfully backed up the same files.
>
>Has anyone encountered this?  Can any of you direct me so as to get ADSM to
>back up these files?  We're using ADSM 2.1.  --Diane

Yes, we had the exact same problem.  I believe it has to do with the way
the various backup products access the files.  ArcServe and Palindrome access
the files directly while ADSM uses the NetWare SMS API to get them.  We talked
to the ADSM support folks quite a bit and their response was that if the SMS
routine denied access to the file then ADSM couldn't read it.  We finally ended
up excluding the QDR files, using the EXCLUDE statement in DSM.OPT, and told
the user community that ADSM cannot back them up.  We're not happy with this
because we get lots of questions when we tell users that this "new and improved"
way of backing up data doesn't back up everything. If you find a way to make
ADSM back them up, I'd like to hear how you did it.

Jeff

Jeffrey E. Renicker               e-mail: jrenicker AT goodyear DOT com
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.        voice:  (216)796-3984
1144 E. Market St.                fax:    (216)796-9081
Akron, OH 44316-0001
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..." - ELP