ADSM-L

Database size

1995-12-15 10:48:13
Subject: Database size
From: Chuck Mattern <cam03 AT HOMEDEPOT DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:48:13 -0500
We are in the process of setting up ADSM on MVS.  It will support 20 HP9000's
and 30 Novell 3.1[12] file servers.  In looking at the total storage out there
we may end up with over 300 gig's in the storage pools.  In looking at the
Server Instalation Manual I see a reccomendation for allocating space for the
database equal to something between 1% and 5% of the total storage.  For us
that translates into to something along the lines of 3-15 gigabytes.  This
seems excessive.  I am curious as to why we would base the database size on
the total storage size rather than the number of files stored.  In addition my
boss, who is more of a mainframe type than I am, tells me that we use much
less thant this to manage shm, tlms, etc for over 1.5 terabytes of datasets on
the MVS machine in the other areas.

Could I please have some feedback as to experiences of other ADSM users in
sizing their database?

Regards,
Chuck

--
Chuck Mattern             "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."
Chuck Mattern             "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.."