ADSM-L

Re: Outgrowing ADSM

1995-12-13 13:18:22
Subject: Re: Outgrowing ADSM
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 18:18:22 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9512131900.AA0263@MGICSMTP>, Mary_Vollmer AT mgic DOT com
(Mary Vollmer) writes:
>We are outgrowing our current ADSM configuration and need to make some changes
>soon.  One of the options we are considering is moving the ADSM server from MVS
>to a dedicated Unix box but we are not sure this is the best solution.  I'd
>like to hear from those of you that are backing up data faster than we are so
>we can add to our list of options to choose from.  Below is a high level
>overview of our configuration - if you're doing better than we are please let
>me know how much data you are backing up and how you're doing it.  I'll be glad
>to look at ALL responses.  Thanks alot!
>
>ADSM Server:  MVS/ESA 4.2.2
>ADSM Clients:  Unix, Netware, OS/2
>Communications: TCP/IP and APPC
>Comm. Controllers: 1 - 3172 connected to a 16mb token ring with est. max
>capacity of 400 MB/hr
>   all UNIX and Netware clients go thru this box using TCP/IP
>   1 - 3745 connected to a 16mb wan with est. max capacity of 25 MB/hr
>   OS/2 clients go thru this box using APPC
>Avg. data backed up: 15 Gb (after compression by client) per night.  We expect
>this to double in the next year
>Tape drives:  Data transferred over the wan backs up directly to disk.  All
>other data backs up directly
>   to tape.  We allow ADSM to use a maximum of 4 tape drives.

What part of MVS are you outgrowing?  CPU? Tape capacity?  Network bandwidth?
Check your APPC definitions, 25Mb/Hour sounds terrible! I don't use APPC for
ADSM or anything else, but I am sure it can do better than that!

Your figures don't add up.  If you are backing up 15G over a .4G pipe, then
nightly cycle takes almost 40 hours!

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com