ADSM-L

Backup solutions

1995-11-29 04:08:18
Subject: Backup solutions
From: Adrian Phillips <adrian.phillips AT DNMI DOT NO>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:08:18 +0100
Hello,

We at the Norwegian Meteorological Inst. are looking at a means of backing up
several different data areas :
Oracle backups (export/online tablespace/full offline) : 30/40GB
"Ordinary" file backups : 20 GB
Archive data (that has to be held forever) : 100GB

I've spoken to Medium Range Weather Forecasting Center who have been running the
new version of ADSM (AIX v2 ?) for some weeks, with a number of problems but
they are fairly satified with it. They're system is of the TB size, but I was
wondering how well does ADSM scale, downwards rather then upwards - is it too
much for a small site to administrate (we're running AIX/Irix/PCs/VMS) or does
the "ease of use" mean that once up and running people generally forget about it
?

IBM Norway mentioned an Oracle extesnion to ADSM coming out soon - does anyone
know of this, is using it, any comments ?

I noticed someone asking about CD-R - is this supported on the AIX platform, it
would sound ideal for our long time archiving needs ?

Thanks for any help,

Adrian Phillips

System Group Leader, DNMI