ADSM-L

Why does ADSM use 536-byte data packets?

2015-10-04 18:17:49
Subject: Why does ADSM use 536-byte data packets?
From: Andy Raibeck[SMTP:raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM]
To: Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L
Using a Sniffer, we've noticed that ADSM sends out packets, typically =
598 or
604 bytes in size. When we look at the packet in greater detail, the =
actual
data portion is 536 bytes, with the remainder being protocol headers =
(LLC,
DLC, IP, SNAP, etc.). This strikes me as a major bottleneck; that if I =
could
send a smaller number of larger packets, I could improve performance by =
quite
a bit (potentially). Oh, BTW I'm using TCP/IP for connectivity to an =
ADSM/MVS
server.

I use TCPBUFFSIZE 32 and TCPWINDOWSIZE 24, which are the only tuning =
options
available in ADSM itself (for TCP/IP). IBM Level 2 tells me that the =
sizes
must be set somewhere in the network or network card.

Has anyone noticed this, and if so, can anything be done about it? I've =
seen
this for NetWare and AIX. I haven't sniffed my other client types yet, =
but
I believe I'd probably find something similar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual