ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Backups

1995-11-20 04:32:36
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Backups
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:32:36 +0500
Jerry Lawson says:

> We have been working with the Lotus Notes agent to backup our Notes data
> bases.
> We have installed the OS/2 client on the Notes servers, and backed up all of
> the
> application and operating system code and files.  We used the Notes Agent to
> backup the actual Notes data bases (.NSF) files.
>
> The Notes administrator wanted to know what is being done with the Template
> files - *.NTF and *.NMF files.  He thought that they should have been backed
> up
> by the notes client.  Not knowing Lotus Notes very well, I could not answer
> any
> of his questions.  Is he right, and they should have been included, or should
> they be included in the OS/2 client incremental.
>
> BTW, we did the backup with a command similar to the following:
>
>      DSMNOTES INCR c:\Notedata\*

I'm pretty sure the Notes agent picks up only *.NSF files. Are the *.NTF and
*.NMF databases? If not, I would think they would be handled by the regular
OS/2 backup/archive client.

We've set up our Notes server backups such that the OS/2 backup/archive
client with an INCLUDE statement that looks something like this:

        INCLUDE   D:\NOTES\*.NSF   EVERY_THIRTY_DAYS

The "EVERY_THIRTY_DAYS" management class has a frequency of 30 days. This
way I get a regular ADSM backup of the notes database once a month (assuming
it's changed). Otherwise I use the Notes agent to perform incrementals on a
daily basis.

The purpose of the monthly OS/2 backup/archive client backup is so that
I have a baseline from where I can subsequently restore the changed/new
documents in the database. This will (presumably) help speed up recovery.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521