ADSM-L

Point in Time Restores

1995-11-15 17:08:12
Subject: Point in Time Restores
From: "Paul L. Bradshaw" <pbradshaw AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:08:12 PST
For Point in Time Restore ADSM has a new feature in its clients called
restore by date.  This is being enhanced to do restore by date/time as
well.  This provides many of the point in time featues needed, but not
everything.

The key component lacking from the above is the ability to maintain all
versions of a file within a window for point in time restores.  Since
ADSM is fully policy based, we only store n versions of a file.  When "n"
is reached, old versions go into the bit bucket.  Thus if you keep 3 versions,
and the file changes daily, you would not have a backup copy that is
7 days old (assuming you backup this file daily).  Thus a point in time
restore to last week would not be 100% accurate.

We are looking into this, but for now you can use the restore by date/time
functions to get you close to what you need.

Paul