ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Legato Networker

1995-11-14 09:34:00
Subject: Re: ADSM and Legato Networker
From: "paul (p.) shields" <pshields AT BNR DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 08:34:00 -0600
I would suggest that you evaluate both software solutions and you may also want
to look at a product called NetBackup from OpenVision.

The most important advice I would give is, look at other library technology
besides the 3494. While they are nice enclosures and drives, they are very
expensive compared to other competing technologies such as DLT and STK products.
We decided to go for DLT in our environment. One of our bigger sites has decided
to go with STK silos.

3590 offer the potential for more performance than DLT, but have a much lower
capacity. The only problem with 3590s is that depending on your exact
environment, ADSM will never be able to drive the tapes at their maximum
performance. With ADSM we get 1500-2000Kb/s. DLTs can handle this performance at
a much lower price and with DLT 6000 drives on the horizon we will have room to
grow.

Paul Shields
pshields AT bnr DOT ca