ADSM-L

Re: OS/2 not fully recovered... any clues ?

1995-11-01 17:04:28
Subject: Re: OS/2 not fully recovered... any clues ?
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 17:04:28 EST
On Wed, 1 Nov 1995 16:07:30 EST Byron Graham said:
>Is there a trick to getting a full recovery of an OS/2 system using
>ADSM ? What am I missing here ? Does a subdirectory not get restored
>if there were no files in it ? What magic is needed to ensure that all
>system files are properly backed up & restorable ?

Byron,

I believe that using the following syntax will restore your desktop:

Boot from another disk (or rescue diskettes (see below)).
Move the bad desktop files out of the way:
  RENAME C:\DESKTOP C:\OLDDESK
Using ADSM, restore the backup copy of your desktop:
  DSMC RESTORE C:\DESKTOP\* -SUBDIR=YES -REPLACE=ALL
Reboot your system

You may be interested in some documentation and an exec that describe how
to build a set of "OS/2 ADSM Rescue Diskettes", customized for your OS/2
system, that can be used to boot your system from diskette, run ADSM from
diskette, and restore your hard disk, all without running from your hard
disk.  This is available at:

  ftp://ftp.cit.cornell.edu/pub/special/adsm/client/os2/rescue/*

Here's a short teaser:

Suppose something really unfortunate happened to your OS/2 system and you
couldn't boot your system from hard disk at all.  This procedure shows you
how to create a set of 3 rescue diskettes for your specific system.  You
will then be able to use them to do any or all of the following:

(1) Boot your system,
(2) Format your hard disk if needed,
(3) Partition your hard disk if needed,
(4) Label your hard disk (partitions) if needed),
(5) Create OS/2 boot-blocks on your hard disk (partitions), and
(6) Run ADSM to recover individual files, or the entire contents of your
    hard disk (partitions), from the ADSM server.

It is a good idea to create a set of "rescue diskettes" ahead of time so
that you can later use them to recover your system should you need to do
so.   The rest of this document contains:

(1) What you should do now: a recipe for creating these "rescue diskettes",
(2) Reviewing the "exclude" list in your DSM.OPT file,
(3) How you can recover or repair the files on your system's hard disk
    using these rescue diskettes.
--
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757