ADSM-L

Re: Expiration processing

1995-10-30 10:44:14
Subject: Re: Expiration processing
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:44:14 EST
We run expiration daily, also. It is started externally at a specific
time (VM server).  Our DB of 2/3G in-use and the expiration runs about
100 minutes, but other things tend to go on at the same time (mostly
scheduled backups).

We recently installed a new (CMOS) processor and were bringing it up
slowly, adding this and that to the mix.  All of a sudden, one of the
processors shot up to 98% and stuck there.  I just looked at my watch
and knew it was DSMSERV.  Doing anything is a chore for DSMSERV, yet
I've been surprised that the expiration process pegs the processor but
not the I/O subsystem.

So if expiration is a linear process, maybe 6-8 hours not unexpected
for a 4-5G database?!  (my 9672 processors can't quite measure up to
Tim's 3090 engine).

cheers,

Wayne T. Smith
Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE