ADSM-L

Volumes in a 3494 ADSM library?

1995-10-13 17:02:21
Subject: Volumes in a 3494 ADSM library?
From: Kent Johnson <johnsk6 AT RPI DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 1995 17:02:21 -0400
I'm trying to get ADSM to write data to our 3590 drives in the 3494 tape
robot, and I'm struggling.  I'm trying to setup my 3494 library to allow
mounting of scratch volumes.

Any ideas on the following questions/topics will be greatly appreciated.

1) Do 3590 drives need to be configured from the 'ADSM devices' menu of smit?

I've configured the library drives using the /dev/rmt(n) devices, and ADSM
seems to be happy.  I'm not sure that this is correct.

The only 'supported device type' for ADSM tape drives is 'ADSM-SCSI-MT scsi
N/A', and this doesn't work with the 3590 drives.

2) The category for scratch volumes in the 3494 library is 301.  I have been
able to assign categories to tapes using the 'stand alone device' on the
3494.

Is this the correct way to do this?  Do I need to set the category before
ADSM can identify tapes to be used as scratch volumes?

3) After setting a couple of tapes with category 301, I try to 'checkin
libvolume <library> status=scratch search=yes'

This give me the following error.

  ANR8447E No drives are currently available in library 3494-EN.

I'm expecting that the 3494 will scan the tapes, and checkin the tapes with
category 301.  Is this what is supposed to happen?

Does anybody know what the error message means?

Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated.  I am anxious to write to
my first tape on the 3494.

Thanks.

Kent

--
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu
Kent Johnson                        Internet: johnsk6 AT rpi DOT edu