ADSM-L

Request for ADSM Development Team

1995-10-10 10:27:54
Subject: Request for ADSM Development Team
From: David Berger <DBERGER AT NEON.GI DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 07:27:54 PDT
I am a consultant here at GI helping to support our OS/2 LAN.  I've tried just
about every backup program for OS/2 and finally decided to try ADSM.  We are
currently using the V1 Server with V2 Clients.  Basically I am just using it
now to backup approximately 10G of server data of about 220,000 files.  One
problem I recently faced was trying to restore files using your graphical user
interfaces from either Windows or OS/2.  ADSM appears to have made the same
mistake that several other vendors have done:  namely, retrieving the entire
file structure before allowing selection of directories/files to retrieve.
With 200,000+ files it takes forever!!!  You really need to restructure your
code to only bring in the directories at the currently selected level.  That
would start at the root and as the user expands the tree to select/look at more
directories you go out and fetch them.  I would be willing to bet that most
users want to retrieve a few files from a specific directory.  Being able to
walk the directory structure quickly and easily is mandatory for that.  Also
the actual record fetching needs to be done in a separate thread.  It is really
quite annoying to have your entire machine locked out as ADSM tried vainly to
retrieve 200,000+ database records.  I finally had to reboot the machine.
Luckily I have a separate Backup server.

I hope you will give this some consideration, it would greatly improve the
usability of what appears to be a fine product.

David L. Berger
Software Construction, Inc.