ADSM-L

Re: Clients ? (HSM)

1995-10-04 11:00:00
Subject: Re: Clients ? (HSM)
From: "paul (p.) shields" <pshields AT BNR DOT CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:00:00 -0500
In message " Clients ? (HSM)", ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT edu writes:

>> Is version 2 of ADSM  now available ?
>
>The v2 clients are available for anon FTP from
>index.storsys.ibm.com. I'll let one of the IBMers answer on
>server availability. I know for a fact that the MVS version 2
>server is now available, but am unsure about AIX or other server
>platforms. It's unclear when the VM v2 server will be available,
>which irritates a number of us (yet another product that VM made
>viable to the point MVS gets priority on the development
>effort...sigh...).
>
>> I am especially interested in HSM. Is there HSM client for Solaris 2.x ?
>>If yes,it will not probably working on AUSPEX, becouse AUSPEX has his own
file
>> system (lfs). Am I wrong ?
>
>I have limited experience with v2, and the last time I ran ADSM
>on an Auspex was about a year ago, but I would suspect that since
>the internal machines have to read the file system at some level,
>it should work. If not, one possibility is to buy a small used
>Sparc IPC, configure the machine to mount all the Auspex
>filesystems,  and run the backup client on that. Used Sun IPCs are under
>$1K US these days (machines w/o displays are extremely cheap --
>c. $500 US), so it's not an outrageous cost.

HSM will probably NOT be supported on the auspex anytime in the near future.
IBM has not even publicly announced support for the Auspex platform, although
it is imminent. They do not currently have an auspex machine in their QA
labs, so no testing has been done on the auspex machine to gaurantee
reliability. Although our testing has shown, that the Sun OS client will work
on the auspex. The server part will not and will not be supported by IBM.

It took a lot of arm twisting to get IBM to support the auspex in the limited
fashion they curently offer.

As for using NFS to a sun box to do HSM, I wouldn?t even consider it. I would
forget about doing HSM on the auspex for a while until better support comes
out of the ADSM team.

Do you really need HSM for your Auspex, or are you trying to implement it,
just for the sake of doing it? Most of the reports I?ve been reading have
suggested that HSM doesn?t deliver all that it promises in a LAN-based
environment.

Even in our environment where we have close to 2 terabytes of data, we are
taking a wait and see approach to HSM.

Paul Shields