ADSM-L

Re: Clients ? (HSM)

1995-10-03 19:01:33
Subject: Re: Clients ? (HSM)
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT WOOD.HELIOS.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 18:01:33 -0500
> Is version 2 of ADSM  now available ?

The v2 clients are available for anon FTP from
index.storsys.ibm.com. I'll let one of the IBMers answer on
server availability. I know for a fact that the MVS version 2
server is now available, but am unsure about AIX or other server
platforms. It's unclear when the VM v2 server will be available,
which irritates a number of us (yet another product that VM made
viable to the point MVS gets priority on the development
effort...sigh...).

> I am especially interested in HSM. Is there HSM client for Solaris 2.x ?
>If yes,it will not probably working on AUSPEX, becouse AUSPEX has his own file
> system (lfs). Am I wrong ?

I have limited experience with v2, and the last time I ran ADSM
on an Auspex was about a year ago, but I would suspect that since
the internal machines have to read the file system at some level,
it should work. If not, one possibility is to buy a small used
Sparc IPC, configure the machine to mount all the Auspex
filesystems,  and run the backup client on that. Used Sun IPCs are under
$1K US these days (machines w/o displays are extremely cheap --
c. $500 US), so it's not an outrageous cost.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ADSM client is pretty
CPU-intensive on the initial run, so you will notice some
performance impact on your Auspex during the initial backup. It
levels out over time, though. I'd stage the initial backup over
several evenings, or whenever your file space is least busy.