ADSM-L

VM Server (lack of) availability (was: Re: ADSM clients (...)

1995-09-23 08:11:08
Subject: VM Server (lack of) availability (was: Re: ADSM clients (...)
From: Bill Harvey <HARVEY AT WUVMD.WUSTL DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 1995 06:11:08 CST
On Fri, 22 Sep 1995 13:16:31 EST, "Wayne T. Smith" <wts AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT
EDU> said:
>We want and need the ADSM Version 2 VM server.  [...]
>            Cut through the crap.  Just do it!

Can we get in line here too?  I'm just about ready to give up hope for
a new VM server and start recommending to my management that we start
planning for the possibility that it'll NEVER come out...  Sorry
folks, but I was burned too long and too badly by TCP/IP to put forth
any serious trust or confidence in product development for VM any more...

We'll almost certainly want to convert to the MVS server down the
road, but it's just too bloody expensive to do that off the bat with
zero client base...  We need to develop a case for the fact that the
MVS server is a decent investment, and we need the VM consortium (and
the VM ADSM server) to do that.  Quite frankly, my management is not
very impressed with ADSM server development so far, and they're going
to be very hard to convince that ANY ADSM server is a viable long-term
strategic direction...

>In case no one has asked today: When will the VM server be available?

I'd really rather not turn this thread into a long string of "me
toos!!!"  here whining for the VM server...  Is there any way we can
get an email address to which we can send these daily requests, so
that we can avoid cluttering the list with them?  I want ADSM
Development to understand what the market is like out here, but I
really don't want my inbox deluged with the mail...  I'm sure there
are a lot of people who'd like to tell SOMEone how much they want a VM
server...

>Bonus question: what is the hold-up?

hmmmm...  I'm afraid I know... but I'll try to keep an open mind, and
refrain from speculating...

>Frustrated dig:  (censored)

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(  I can't speak for anyone
else, but I am not a happy camper out here!!!

Bill Harvey
Washington University
St. Louis, MO