ADSM-L

Re: Raw device support under ADSM

1995-09-20 11:02:30
Subject: Re: Raw device support under ADSM
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 11:02:30 EDT
On Wed, 20 Sep 95 08:25:56 EDT Paul Zarnowski said:
>On Tue, 19 Sep 1995 12:55:25 -0700 BILLY D. GLENN said:
>>Does ADSM provide support for raw logical volumes under AIX?  We're
>
>Yes, it does.  We have used them.  If your logical volume is called dbvol1,
>then refer to it as /dev/rdbvol1 to adsm.  I.e., DEF DBVOL /dev/rdbvol1.

Ok, before everyone starts correcting me, I'm now awake enough to realize
that I completely mis-understood Billy Glenn's question.  I thought he was
talking about ADSM server support for LVMs, not ADSM client support.

The answer to the latter question is:  No, ADSM does not provide support to
back up raw logical volumes.  However, there are ways to back up databases.
I don't think I have sufficient knowledge about how to do this, so I will
let someone else answer the question of how to do this.           ..Paul