ADSM-L

Reply to Re: Changing the Exp

1995-09-20 09:00:00
Subject: Reply to Re: Changing the Exp
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 1995 08:00:00 -05
>From:         Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT TIAC DOT NET>
>Subject:      Re: Changing the Expiration Process Interval

There was a PTF added to the V1 server that provides a new option that goes
.
.
.

If you use a non-zero interval, the interval begins from the time you start
the ADSM server. This may or may not be convenient for you. Whatever you choose,
keep in mind that once inventory expiration runs for a particular day, any
other executions during that day are wasted CPU cycles since nothing else will
expire (on that day).

IBM should seriously consider changing the 1-hour default, since it really is
a bad setting.

Andy

*** Comments from STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 09/20/95 07:47am:
A couple of comments.

The default of every hour certainly seems excessive to me;
I don't think too many shops would have THAT much activity.

I run mine several times a day, and many days I will have
more than one process report deleted files.  It does seem
strange.  I'm not sure why a morning run deletes nothing and
an afternoon run deletes a couple of hundred files.  Maybe these
are files from a drive/archive the user deleted?

The "expirationinterval" works fine for limiting
expiration processing for me, BUT I don't like
ADSM starting an expiration processing every time the server
comes up.  It impacts performance (significantly for
Admin users).  If the server has to come up or down during
the day I don't really want it to spend 15-20 minutes
churning through an expiration.