ADSM-L

Re: Changing the Expiration Process Interval

1995-09-19 16:16:52
Subject: Re: Changing the Expiration Process Interval
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT TIAC DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 16:16:52 -0400
There was a PTF added to the V1 server that provides a new option that goes
in the server options file. I think it's something like EXPIRATIONINTERVAL,
but I forget. Anyway, it allows you to set the interval between expiration
runs (the default is 1 hour). The interval is expressed in hours and can be
from 0 to two weeks (however many hours that is). A value of 0 means that
inventory expiration will not run automatically, and this is what I use.
IBM also provided a new command to manually kick off inventory expiration.
What I do is schedule a batch job to issue the command at a particular time
of day that is convenient for us (i.e. when the CPU isn't too busy).

If you use a non-zero interval, the interval begins from the time you start
the ADSM server. This may or may not be convenient for you. Whatever you choose,
keep in mind that once inventory expiration runs for a particular day, any
other executions during that day are wasted CPU cycles since nothing else will
expire (on that day).

IBM should seriously consider changing the 1-hour default, since it really is
a bad setting.

Andy

Attached message from Andy Carlson:

Is there a way to change the interval that ADSM does expiration
processing?  I think the current interval is way too often.  Thanks.

 Andy Carlson  work: (314) 362-0516      fax: (314) 362-4495
 Barnes Jewish Christian Health Services   St. Louis MO
 Email Address:  andyc AT andyc.carenet DOT org