ADSM-L

Commit required after command

1995-09-15 10:23:00
Subject: Commit required after command
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:23:00 -05
When moving from MVS version 1 level 8 server to level 13/14
we found administrative sessions began hanging, causing all
ADSM sessions to hang. It always occurs when executing
a macro containing:

define node
define association
commit

After reporting the problem via IBMLINK, I received the following
from IBM:

---------------
Mike, it turns out that we intentionally made a change in this area
Mike, it turns out that we intentionally made a change in this area
due to potential deadlock, specifically having to do with REGISTER NODE
followed by DEFINE ASSOCIATION. We now require either a COMMIT after
each command in the MACRO, or the use of the ITEMCOMMIT command on the
server. Unfortunatly, we didn't document this very well. We are opening
a DOC APAR for this for ADSM Version 1 Release 1. It is better
documented in Version 1 Release 2, and Version 2 Release 1. Sorry
for the inconvenience.
I will update this PMR with the APAR number as sonn as it is opened.
Aside from being a rather questionable fix (the problem may
Aside from being a rather questionable fix (the problem may
hang my system, the fix always hangs my system), can ITEMCOMMIT
be specified anywhere other than the Admin client command line?
That the only place I can find it documented.  I'd rather not
have to try to find all the admin clients installed and change
their command lines.  Nevermind that I think a reinstall will
remove ITEMCOMMIT from the command line.

Anyone else run into this problem?