ADSM-L

Re: ADSM MVS to AIX migration

1995-09-14 15:30:04
Subject: Re: ADSM MVS to AIX migration
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 15:30:04 EDT
Tim,

We run ADSM/6000 as follows.  Our config is not as big as what you have now,
in certain respects.

Server:
 RS/6000 41T
 64M memory
 2 SCSI channels
 9 GB disks (currently).  Trying to get to 25GB, but having problems with
                          Seagate Barracuda 4GB drives.
   1 GB AIX, ADSM software, utilities, 2 log volume copies
   4 GB ADSM DB (duplexed 2GB)
   2 GB backup disk storage
   .5 GB archive disk storage
   the rest is currently not utilized
 LAGO Datawheel (2 Exabyte 8500C 8mm tape drives)
 DB and logvols are duplexed on different SCSI channels
 Make sure you have at least 2 copies of each DB vol and log vol.

250 clients
100 GB managed storage
2-3 GB transferred per night (runs from 12:30 to about 4)
I have not done an analysis to see how much data we could theoretically
transfer per night.

Suggestions
Use faster disk.  We are using SCSI-2.  We seem to be bottlenecked on
  disk I/O, I think to the database.  I'd go with either F/W SCSI-2 or
  something even faster if you can afford it.
A fast processor will help, especially for Migrations, Reclaims, Expirations,
  etc.  The 41T we got has a 601 processor in it, which was considered pretty
  fast when we got it.
Get something with lots of expansion slots.  The 41T has 4, which I think
  is pretty good (for the price).  Spread your data on multiple scsi busses
  to avoid bus contention during backup.
Spread your database across multiple volumes.  You will be bottlenecked on
  seek time to your database, probably.  Spreading out should help this.
Pay attention to your AIX error log (e.g., 'errpt' command).  This will
  show you if you have disks about to fail, or if you are running out of
  memory buffers (mbufs).  You may need to tune the AIX networking parms.
  We are in the process of doing this now.
We are headed towards putting FDDI on our server, which may or may not
  improve performance.  Once we get past our disk bottleneck (hopefully by
  spreading the DB across our new disks), I think FDDI will help us.
If you can afford it, steer clear of 4/8mm technology.  Go with 3x90 or
  DLT.  Our experience has been with 8mm, and it requires lots of vigilance.

I've seen others on this list talk about much larger RS/6000 configurations,
with 900-level models.  I don't know how much they buy you, other than a
nice cabinet to put your disks into.  I think the processors and the
channels have similar performance characteristics.

Good luck.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601