ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Experiences

1995-09-05 12:01:54
Subject: Re: ADSM Experiences
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 12:01:54 EDT
On Tue, 5 Sep 1995 00:12:47 CDT Keith A. Crabb said:
>Has anyone considered the usage of RAID disk arrays for the ADSM database
>volumes?

My thoughts on RAID (3 or higher) is that the improved performance would be
gained primarily during sequential processing through large files.  For true
random access, as would presumably be the case for ADSM database I/O, I don't
know that RAID will perform any better than having the database spread over
the equivalent number of SCSI disks.  I'm ignoring the potential cache
benefits, since they are not unique to RAID.

I do see where RAID would provide improved reliability, but since ADSM
already has mirroring capabilities built-in, we did not feel that the
added expense of RAID disk was warranted on this basis alone.

We have not done any performance comparisons (RAID vs non-RAID) using ADSM.
If anyone does this, we would be very interested in the results!

..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601