ADSM-L

Re: Automatic Tape Libraries

1995-09-01 21:47:49
Subject: Re: Automatic Tape Libraries
From: Jo Ann Malina <joann AT MAILBOX.SLAC.STANFORD DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 18:47:49 -0700
> On Fri, 1 Sep 1995 15:48:08 EDT Bob Klein said:
> >2) Is anyone aware of an automatic tape library that can be
> >connected simulaneously to an MVS system and an RS6000 system?
>
> I believe the IBM 3494 and 3495 can be connected simultaneously to MVS and
> RS6000 systems.  We would like to do this ourselves, but we do plan to
> dedicate tape drives within the library to either MVS or ADSM/6000, not
> share them dynamically.  So, we would be sharing the robotics, but not
> the drives themselves.  I don't know what it would take to be able to
> dynamically share the drives (e.g., STAM).

We're sharing an STK silo with 3490E tapes among VM, VMS (not MVS) and
unix.  Dynamically.  I am still trying to figure out how get ADSM to be
able to use it.  Any suggestions would be welcome.  If IBM is listening,
I'd rather have a clean mount exit than all the fancy built-in tape
handling in the world (which never seems to be able to handle MY setup).

--
Jo Ann Malina, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
Jo Ann Malina, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center