ADSM-L

120 Emulation

1995-08-28 11:35:59
Subject: 120 Emulation
From: Dick Johnson <dick_johnson AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 08:35:59 PDT
There are SCSI libraries that emulate Exabyte drives and libraries. I know
that in some cases, this emulation is less than perfect, and this causes
problems when ADSM tries to use the devices. My preference would be to
add support for the "native" library so we know what we are dealing with.
Some problem areas I have seen with emulation include:

   1. Physical differences in how import/export is done.
   2. Differences in SCSI command timeout values.
   3. Larger capacity than a real 120.
   4. Different sense bytes from a real Exabyte device.

Dick Johnson - ADSM Server Device Support, IBM SSD San Jose