ADSM-L

Re: RS6K & ADSM config

1995-08-16 09:01:41
Subject: Re: RS6K & ADSM config
From: Rob Creecy <rcreecy AT CENSUS DOT GOV>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 09:01:41 -0400
> R.Alexander wrote:
>RPI is PLANNING the following:
>We will share an R24 with 1GB of mainstore with batch processing
>and student access.  The R24 has two microchannels; we will have
>a 3494 with 3 3590 drives attached through two differential F/W SCSI
>cards, one to each micro channel.

What is the planned disk configuration? Do you expect the disk system
to be able to sustain a band width of near the 9MB/sec rated speed of
the 3590 drives. With 3 3590 drives transferring simultaneously, that
would be 27MB/sec peak.

On the software side, do you expect ADSM to be able to drive the tape
drives at anywhere near their rated speed, even if the hardware can
support that speed?

I am asking because it isn't clear to me that the high bandwidth
rating of the 3590's is of much value unless the total system
can sustain that bandwidth. Does anyone have any experience or opinions

>The 3494 is cabable of handling 500 cartridges...
>

>In any AIX environment it is important NOT to stress main memory.
>

>We hope to service an administrative Oracle-based data server,
>a 150GB plus AFS cell and over 300 PC and other clients
>with this configuration.
>
>Until we get the 3590/3494 installed, I don't know if the above
>will work well.
>
>We will see in a couple of months...
>
>We currently have a test bed setup with a S/370 channel emulation
>card to allow ADSM on the R24 to access 3480 drives with IDRC.
>
>I would be interested in other configurations of ADSM/RS6K.
>
>Thanks,
>Richard
>
>Richard Alexander                         phone: (518) 276-6785
>Mgr, High Performance Computing           fax: (518) 276-2809
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute          Internet: alexar AT rpi DOT edu

Rob Creecy
Census Bureau
DIR IT, 1029-3
Washington, D.C. 20233

(301)-457-1774    rcreecy AT census DOT gov