ADSM-L

Windows 95 - one more comment

1995-08-09 15:43:17
Subject: Windows 95 - one more comment
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 14:43:17 EST
I hope everyone can stand one more item on this subject   :-)>

First, let me state that I am an OS/2 bigot.

With that out of the way, the reality of the issue is that WIN 95 has sold
well even before it's release - the other night on the Home shopping club,
200,000 copies were sold in less than 2 hours!

In many companies, the beta code has been available for months, and gold code
is now in shop.  People are running to jump on what may or may not be a
bandwagon at obviously a record pase.

The problem from my standpoint is this:  "How do I tell a customer that I
can't back him up any more, when other applications either can use the
existing version, or have a new version available either on day 1, or within
30 days?"  I know we can say that the file structure is different, but the
truth of the matter is that the users don't care or understand this item.
whether or not ADSM is the premier product in its field is not the issue -
providing support and backup is (Rember your motto, ADSM development?)

Now, while I'm being picky, the question has to be asked - Where have you been
for the last months, with all of the beta code and developers toolkits
available?  Was IBM prohibited from obtaining these?  If not, then.......

For the record, I have customers who have been using the WIN 3.1 client on
Win95, as has been documented by many others in this forum.  We know that the
long file names aren't supported, but they do it anyway

Enough of the soapbox - sorry if it sounds like a rant.

Jerry Lawson