ADSM-L

ADSM NetWare memory question

1995-07-28 14:00:02
Subject: ADSM NetWare memory question
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 14:00:02 EDT
This is a question about running ADSM 1.2.0.8 on NetWare 3.11.

We have a user who just installed the 1.2.0.8 client on their NetWare 3.11
server.  When they attempt to LOAD DSMC (INCREMENTAL OR SCHED), they get
the following error messages:

   NLM startup error
   begin thread failure
   1.1.38 cache memory allocator exceeded minimum cache buffer left limit
   module initialization failed
   module DSMC NLM not loaded
   module did not release one resource

This is a memory-poor server (12M).  I'm not a NetWare person, but it looks
to me like there wasn't enough memory available to load dsmc.  However, we
did not see this problem with the 1.2.0.7 client.  We are using the
SLOWINCREMENTAL option, but that has no effect since the dsmc nlm can't even
get loaded.  We also checked a few NetWare settings:
  max alloc short term memory       = 2M
  file cache buffer left limit      = 20
  directory cache buffer left limit = 20
I know there were suggestions to increase max alloc short term memory for
the 1.2.0.7 client, but my understanding is that this was no longer necessary
with the 1.2.0.8 client.

Does anyone have an explanation for what's going on, or a recommendation on
what can be done to get this working again?  (other than adding memory, which
is in the plan).

Thanks for any help.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601