ADSM-L

Re: Multiple polices for same client?

1995-07-27 12:34:44
Subject: Re: Multiple polices for same client?
From: Andrew Raibeck <raibeck AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 16:34:44 +0000
> I was presented with this opportunity by one of my customers  :-)
>
> In the Policy Domain for our NetWare servers, we set the "only copy" limit to
> 90 days.  The customer in question, a NetWare administrator, felt this was
> very adequate for customer files, but would like something longer for some
> files, such as the NetWare NLMs.  His reasoning was that if an NLM is
> accidently deleted, and the server stays up for long periods without a reboot,
> then it might be possible for a critical system module to get deleted from the
> hard drive, and then subsequently from the ADSM backup.  (I know this is
> perhaps extreme, but please bear with me.)  I Have been trying to develop a
> process to allow certain files (perhaps the SYS volume, or a set of
> directories within the volume) to have a longer "only file" delete period, but
> haven't had any success.  Does anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Jerry Lawson

You can create a new management class (or use a pre-existing one that
fits the bill) to retain the files in question for a longer period of
time, then add them to the INCLUDE/EXCLUDE list in your DSM.OPT file,
i.e.

     INCLUDE     SYS:/.../*.NLM     KEEPLONGER

Where KEEPLONGER is a fictitious management class name (I made it up) that
has a longer retention.

Of course, the obvious question is: If 90 days isn't long enough, what is
the correct retention? Is it 100 days? 180 days? 365 days? 10 years?
Forever?

Here are a couple of alternatives to ADSM backup that you might want to
consider:

* Don't change anything. If the file is lost, you probably won't discover
  it until you re-boot. If it prevents you from re-booting, you'll have to
  get it from another server (or some other source), anyway.

* If it is critical, you may want to consider using ADSM's archive feature
  instead. This way you can make a permanently-retained copy that won't
  be subject to deletion or versioning. I would recommend this for any
  mission-critical file, not just NLMs.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual