ADSM-L

Restore entire dir path with inactive files on OS/2.

1995-07-27 13:57:15
Subject: Restore entire dir path with inactive files on OS/2.
From: David Derk <derk AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 10:57:15 PDT
>>I seem to have a problem with restoring files with ADSM. One of our users
>>have deleted a whole directory tree on an OS/2 machine.
>>
>>We don't do the restore from the machine that took the backups, so we
>>use the 'Display drives for node...' option to switch to the machine
>>that we want to restore from. Then we can't use the 'restore to origin
>>location', which, when used with the node-switching option, is actuall
>>misleading, because the files won't get restored to their original
>>location.
>>
>>So we normally use the 'Restore by file specification' option to resto
>>our files. But since the user has deleted a whole tree, and we would
>>like to keep the directory structure, I thought that I would use
>>'restore by subdirectory path'. We then type in the location of the
>>files (which by now are all inactive, since the deletion happened
>>before our latest backup) and the directory where we want the files
>>restored.
>>
>>When we hit the restore-button, ADSM hangs. We did a query session on
>>the host, and it showed no activity at all.
>>
>>My questions are:
>>
>>1) Why does ADSM hang? Is there another way to accomplish a restore whe
>>   keeping the directory structure intact?.
>>
>>2) Can the 'restore by subdirectory path' be used to restore inactive
>>   files? Normally we use the show inactive files option, but I have
>>   the impression that this only relates to the 'pick-lists' we get
>>   when we do a 'restore by file specification'. When we do a restore
>>   by subdirectory tree, we don't get this pick-list. So what does the
>>   'show inactive files' option do on a 'restore by subdirectory tree'

You are correct restore to 'original location' when using the
FROM NODE option is misleading but it will work.
If you issue a backup of drive D: on NODEA
a restore from NODEB using the from node option and specifying
restore to 'original location' it will restore all the files to
the D: drive on node B's machine. As long as the drive letter
is the same.
Is this what you want?

To answer #2 'restore by subdirectory path' will only restore
the active files.
If you want to restore the directory tree branch with active and
inactive files to a different destination it is best to use
the command line client.
"dsmc rest {nodeA_drive_label}:\olddir1\* d:\newdir\ -subdir=y -latest
 -fromnode=nodeA"

There is one more option.  Bring up ADSM temporary on the machine
of NODEB as NODEA with the -nodename=NODEA option.  Then it will
behave as if you were restoring from that node.  Make sure you
do not issue any backup commands!  Probably not the best
solution.  This would not solve your problem of getting inactive files.

In reference to #1 above the client should not hang.  I have tried
the command on my machine and it did work.  The hang may be related
to something else - communication or filespace size.

Hope this helps :-)

David Derk