ADSM-L

OS/2 CLient Spits the Dummy on unlabelled drives

1995-07-26 20:05:24
Subject: OS/2 CLient Spits the Dummy on unlabelled drives
From: David Derk <derk AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:05:24 PDT
>>When trying to backup an OS/2 client the other day, I noticed,
>>that although the piece of code that displays your drives mounted
>>on the client is quite good, and gets non-existant drive labels
>>correct (ie leaves them blank), when attempting to backup the drive,
>>the OS/2 client spits the dummy, with and error message
>>about drive <insert unreadable garbage here>.
>>
>>Simple fix is to either not select the drive (not so useful)
>>or label the drive, but I feel that the client should possibly
>>be a little more robust about drive naming.... Especially since
>>a lot of potential users are likely to have this problem, and
>>know not how to fix it...

What do you mean by non-existant drive labels???
If a drive is not recognized by OS/2 it is not displayed in
the GUI 'Drives for Backup/Archive' window.  If the drive exist
but has no label then the text "No volume label" is displayed
in the label field and the drive can not be selected.
Remote drives with no labels have the filesystem type and
the driver letter appended to use as the ADSM label.

Is is possible you have some non-printable characters in your
volume label?

David Derk