ADSM-L

Re: Database recovery utilites

1995-07-26 13:18:54
Subject: Re: Database recovery utilites
From: Andrew Raibeck <raibeck AT IBM DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 17:18:54 +0000
> Good Afternoon,   I seem to be missing something here,  I read something
> somewhere, I believe it was in a Red book:  ADSTAR Distributed Storage
> Manager Storage Management Services:  Implementation Examples,
> about the Database Recovery Utilities called DUMPDB, LOADDB, and
> AUDITDB.   Are these supplied at installation?  I can't find them in the
> sys1.anr* or sys1.aanr*.  Any insight as to where these might be at
> would be wonderful.    I'm glad I don't need them at the moment.
> Thanks,
>
> Jane Dagostino-Snyder
>
> University of Minnesota
>
> (612)  624-4883

This is a postscript to my previous reply to Jane:

When you run these commands, the ADSM server must be down. They are run
in a batch job, executing the program DSMSERV (I think someone else
mentioned this). The desired command is executed by including a PARM
field in the 'EXEC' JCL statement, i.e.

//SERVER  EXEC PGM=DSMSERV,PARM='/AUDITDB ......'

Note: the 'dots' are mine; I forget the exact syntax, but I just wanted to
give you the jist of it.

Rather than use the DUMPDB utility, which requires that the server be
down, I recommend using the 'DUMP DB DEV=devclass' command, which can
be issued from the ADSM administrative client. (You fill in a value
for 'devclass', which represents a device class that you defined. I
have a device class that has a 14-day retention so that I can go as
far back as 2 weeks if I need to. After 14 days, the tape is expired
and available for scratch use.) This doesn't require the
server to be down, and will ensure a properly synchronized backup of
the database. With this command, if you have to restore the database,
you won't need to run AUDITDB, which is painfully slow. You'll find this
command documented in 'SYS1.PARMLIB(ANR1110)', as well.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual

(203) 987-3521