ADSM-L

Re: Tape-Libraries

1995-07-24 14:39:20
Subject: Re: Tape-Libraries
From: David Boyes <dboyes AT WOOD.HELIOS.ND DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 13:39:20 -0500
> recommended two alternatives: A 7331-205 (8mm Jukebox with two tape-devices
> and 20 tape-slots up to 280 GByte capacity) and a Magstar 3590-B11 with ten
> 3490-tapes with a capacity up to 300 GByte. Now my questions:
> - What technology is better ?   8mm or 1/2 inch

Better is, of course, a religious issue. The 3590s are
considerably faster for data transfer, and the tapes are much
less susceptible to heat and decay, but are not widely
available in most Unix shops. The 8mm drives are more common, and
the media is more widely available in the Unix world, at the
expense of transfer speed (usually a tiny fraction of the 3590
speed).

> - Do you have any expirience with these boxes ?

Lots with the 8mm drives. You'll see average 300K/sec transfer
rates on these devices, and the media is good for at most 3-4
months in storage unless you have *really* exceptionally well
controlled environmentals in your tape vault. The 8mm tapes also
tend to stretch with use, which causes data loss.

I'd love to have a 3590 to play with...8-).

> - What about reclamation, do I really need two drives (should work with the
>   7331-205, shouldn't it) ?

You need at least two tape transports for reclamation to work
(tape to tape). I'd suggest at least 3 transports, to allow
migration to take place and still allow for user backup/restore
requests during the migration. If you have 8mm devices, you
should consider 1 to 2 more drives, due to the slow transfer
speed of the drives and the long duration of migrations due to
the high tape capacity.