ADSM-L

Re: VMS Client Availability

1995-07-20 17:22:26
Subject: Re: VMS Client Availability
From: Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:22:26 EDT
On Thu, 20 Jul 1995 13:36:03 -0700 lpopek said:
>I have been reading the user community Email for about 5 days. I am suprised
>with the number of problems. Does it mean that this is not as good of
>software as IBM presents? Is there anyone out there to give me some
>positive feed back and experience?

While ADSM has its share of problems, overall we are pretty happy with it,
as is our user community.  I think part of the reason you see so much
discussion on this list about problems, is because of the tradition of
IBM users working with IBM to make their products better.  At least, that's
my history, and my view of this list.  While some vendors would try to
hide their "bad features" (aka bugs), my experience has been that IBM does
not do this, even where it is embarassing to them.  I find this reassuring.

I cannot really compare the robustness of ADSM to other products, as we
have not used many other backup products to the same degree that we are
using ADSM (with one exception that I will not name).  So, I won't say
that ADSM is "better" or "worse" than other products.  But, I will caution
you not to confuse "open discussion of problems" with "this product must
have lots of problems".  In the end, I think ADSM will evolve into a better
product because of this open discussion.  At least, that is my hope!

..Paul