ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Launch?

1995-07-14 09:08:47
Subject: Re: ADSM Launch?
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 13:08:47 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%199507141243.AA14653 AT power.gpu DOT com>, wcoughlin AT gpu
DOT com (WILLIAM R COUGHLIN guser) writes:
>  -> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU     MAIL TO EXTERNAL MAIL SYSTEM   IO50C3
>Here's the problem:  I have a unique situation with a client
>node (running Windows ADSM code) in that an incremental backup has
>to be done based upon some application "triggers". The application
>databases have to be stopped, the incrementals done, some other
>processes run, and then the databases started.  Unfortunately, this
>is not on a predetermined time.  My first attempt was to launch the
>scheduler from another program (WINBATCH) and set the options so
>the backup takes off almost immediately - this worked fine except when
>there aren't enough sessions!  Because of the importance of getting
>this process done immediately, I cannot rely on having available
>sessions for this specific backup to run. So, my second thought is
>to launch the backup/archive, but I don't know how (or IF it can
>be done) to take off without intervention.  Is there any parameter
>I can pass to DSM on startup that does the incremental without
>intervention (without using a mouse, the control sequence would be
>ALT-A, CTL-I)
>  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Bill Coughlin
>                                           wcoughlin AT gpu DOT com

How about using the DOS client?  We always install both the DOS and
windows client so that we can restore the windows code when it gets
trashed.  You can run 'dsmc I' to get an immediate incremental backup
or 'dsmc sel <filespec>' to backup the specific files which may be better
considering DOS's memory difficulties and that it uses the slowincremental
'feature'.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com