ADSM-L

JFS vs logical volumes

1995-06-28 18:41:24
Subject: JFS vs logical volumes
From: Greg Tevis <gtevis AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:41:24 PDT
Paul...in response to your questions below....

Yes, ADSM does its own memory caching of the
database and recovery log.
Parameters in the server options file control this (I think
they're BUFPOOLSIZE and LOGPOOLSIZE).  I don't believe we don't
do any memory caching to the storage pools and it
probably doesn't make any sense to since caching
only benefits with multiple hits to the same data....backups
going to storage pools will probably never be recovered
within a few seconds...thus caching will be a wasted effort.  We
do however, cache data within disk storage pools when we migrate
data to tape storage pools.  This makes sense because it utilizes
disk storage volumes for caching until the space is needed (otherwise
the space would just be vacant and not utilized).

You were probably recommended to use JFS files because ADSM
development found some AIX bugs which caused problems when
trying to recover logical volumes.  I believe those have been
fixed but I think we're still a little leary.  Again, in terms
of performance there seems to be no difference of logical volumes
over JFS files.

For total throughput during nightly backups there are a number
of general performance items to look at depending on your server
(eg, multiple paths to the server, etc.).  As far as
with your storage pool setup, the only thing I would recommend
is to make sure you have multiple devices within your disk storage
pool so that data from multiple clients can be writing to the
same storage pool simultaneously.

Greg Tevis