ADSM-L

Re: email notification

1995-06-22 14:34:00
Subject: Re: email notification
From: "Jon C. Austin" <TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 1995 14:34:00 EDT
> We sort of do what you're asking with shell scripts that go off of an ADSM
> events exception report that sends email to the address associated with a
> node (stored as part of the contact info for the node) if the scheduled
> backup failed for the node.
>
> On Thu, 22 Jun 1995, Rusty Wright wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to have the server, or client, send email each time
> > after a backup is done?

Actually we do the same thing, but with an MVS ADSM server. IT's been
a combination of JCL,REXX, and TSO batch email, but it's the same
principle:

  at set times over day
  using admin client and macro, perform a QUERY EVENT * * node=*
  stream output to file
  tear apart file for individual lines (client records)
     Depending on status field, do whatever notification you desire
         compose some e-mail message and send

We've thought about making some type of kit of ours, and letting it
be available at something like SHARE in August...Just don't know
if there would be any interest.

|  Jon Austin                             TSSJCA AT SYSA.ADM.DUKE DOT EDU   |
|  Systems Programmer, DUCC                -or- @DUKE.BITNET         |
|  314 North Building, Box 90133                                     |
|  Duke University                           phone   (919)660-7024   |
|  Durham, NC  27708-0133                    fax     (919)660-7021   |
|               Duke University: Birthplace of 'USENET'              |