ADSM-L

Re: Info from "data base"?

1995-06-21 13:05:05
Subject: Re: Info from "data base"?
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 17:05:05 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%ADSM-L%95062112344384 AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>, wts AT
mail.caps.maine DOT edu (Wayne T. Smith) writes:
>Now that we're at a point where we have a number of clients in a
>steady state of backup, I'd like to consider whether we'd like to
>increase the number of inactive files supported.  Well, we'd like to,
>but we'd also like to know what this would cost in terms of data base
>and storage.
>
>QUERY OCCUPANCY does a nice job of this for an entire file space, but
>doesn't break it down by Active/Inactive.  Even QUERY CONTENT doesn't
>indicate Active/Inactive.  Any ideas?
>
>Wayne T. Smith
>Systems Group -- CAPS        internet: wts AT maine.maine DOT edu
>University of Maine System   BITNET/CREN: WTS@MAINE

Try doing an EXPORT with preview=yes and filedata=backupactive.  This will
count the active backfiles and total their size without moving any data.
Then subtract the count from the results of query occupancy.

Caution - this ran pretty quickly at level 11 of the mvs server, but export
was radically changed at level 12 and the performance of an export of
a single node or filespace got much worse when actually moving the data.
I haven't tried the new export with preview=yes but be prepared for high cpu.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550